What is A Web Scam and How Can You Avoid it?
What is A Web Scam and How Can You Avoid it?
In 2020, victims of online fraud in the UAE lost approximately $7 Million and filed over 270,000 complaints. No one likes to be a victim (or a statistic), so hackers strive to remain one step ahead of the masses with ever-evolving strategies. With that in mind, here are some online scams and ways to avoid them listed by the experts at our web development company Dubai.
Scam Sites Explained by Web Development Company Dubai
Any illegitimate online website used to mislead users into fraud or malicious attacks is referred to as a scam website. Scammers take advantage of the internet's anonymity to hide their true identity and intentions behind a variety of masks. False security alerts, giveaways, and other dishonest formats may be used to give the appearance of legitimacy.
Although the internet serves a variety of purposes, not everything on the internet is what it appears to be. There are websites set up for a variety of nefarious reasons among the millions of legitimate websites fighting for attention. These websites are used to commit anything from identity theft to credit card fraud.
How to Identify Fake Sites Clarified by Web Design Company in Dubai
Fortunately, there are a few basic steps by our web development company Dubai that you can take to protect yourself and your family from scam websites as you navigate the internet. You can better defend yourself against these threats by following the advice below:
- Poor design quality: It may seem self-evident, but pay attention to how a site is laid out. Is it designed with the same level of proficiency and visual quality as a legitimate website? Low-resolution images and unusual layouts may indicate a scam.
- Emotional language: Does the website use language that might elicit strong feelings in you? If you have a strong sense of urgency, optimism, or anxiety, proceed with caution.
- Odd grammar: Look for spelling errors, broken or stilted English, or very clear grammar errors, such as the erroneous use of plural and singular words.
- Lack of identifying web pages: A proper web development company Dubai website should also include simple pages such as a "Contact Us" and "About Us" page. If you're unsure, give the company a call. Be wary if the number is a mobile phone or if the call goes unanswered. There's definitely a reason why a company wants to avoid verbal contact.
How to Avoid Web Scams: Web Design Services Dubai/ Website Development in Dubai
- Examine the Web Address (or URL) Communications from well-known social media platforms, online payment processors, and IT administrators are often used to entice the unwary public. The phishing site's web address may look very similar to the real one. It may even contain the genuine website's address, but it also contains code that redirects traffic to a bogus site.
- Keep an eye out for people who contact you by email or phone suddenly and ask for personal information. Open emails, links, and attachments from reputable web development company Dubai source only.
- Know who your hosting, email, and internet providers are. Also, be aware of how these companies will contact you.
- Spam filters, anti-virus software, and firewalls will all help to keep your computer safe. Make sure your web development company Dubai programs are up to date for the best protection.
- If you believe you have been a victim of an online scam, take action right away. If you have offered account numbers, PINs, or passwords to an unknown source, immediately inform the institutions with which you have accounts.
What to Do If You’re Scammed: What Web Developers Dubai Suggest
Cybercriminals are still coming up with new ways to deceive people, so be cautious whenever you're online. Don't be ashamed if you fall for a cyber scam (or suspect you have). Gather all pertinent information about the incident before filing a complaint with cybersecurity websites. Your complaint will be reviewed and researched by an analyst, who will then provide information about the incident to the relevant law enforcement or regulatory agencies.
The experts at our web development company Dubai suggest that to prevent being phished, keep an eye out for these worms now that you know what to expect from cyber scammers. As scammers become more sophisticated, you must maintain constant vigilance to keep your computer and personal information safe.